2/8/10

I know this feeling – and it scares me…

Today has been one of THOSE days. You know, the day that you SWEAR you’ve lived before.

It started last week. The cough we hoped would go away.

An ear tube that they put in last March fell out about 10 days ago and (shockingly) led to an ear infection.

Large doses of strong antibiotics were prescribed. We thought she was on the mend.

“Thought” being the operative word!

M and I went away for the weekend. Couples massages, uninterrupted dinner in a restaurant , a fancy, schmancy hotel, topped off with some fun shopping and walking around quaint old town St. Augustine late at night. So fun. Soooooo fun! We also attended an Adoption Seminar, but that should probably be a post on its own.

S went to my mom’s house for the weekend. Where she subsequently forgot she was potty trained AND her cough was increasingly worse. My poor Mom!! I owe her dinner or a vacation, or at least should pay to clean her carpets. S coughed a little Friday night. A lot on Saturday and last night, well – lets just say I’m running on fumes. No sleep was had by all. (Well M slept, but S and I didn’t.)

She had a coughing fit so bad that I thought I was going to have to call 911. Not kidding. It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night. But strangely I’ve been here before. S has been here before too. And it just plain sucks.

We had an early appointment with her pediatrician and after testing her for the flu and RSV and giving her a nebulizer treatment, her oxygen sats were still at 93 and little air was moving on her right side. So to the ER we went.

As you can see, this is the face of a kid who feels awful! My poor sweet girl! 0208101416-03

Her oxygen sats were better by the time we reached the ER (95). We went for for a chest x-ray and had another stronger breathing treatment.

Doctor said no pneumonia which was great news! Called it bronchitis with some viral component because the antibiotics weren’t working at all. Her ears were better, but since S is allergic to an entire class of antibiotics, the usual ones that would work, were not an option.

So $175 later (up from 125 last year), we were sent home with the exact same treatment plan that we left with.

And S still sounds awful.

As annoyed as I was about paying the 175 dollars, I’m glad she doesn’t have pneumonia. However, M took a positive spin on it saying that with the higher ER fees, at least we will reach our out of pocket maximum sooner this year….always the optimist – that man of mine….

2 comments:

Lianna Knight said...

Ahhh.....poor baby :(

Looking forward to our conversation this weekend...I'm dying to know the scoop!!

Janice said...

Aww, poor thing. She looks so miserable. My prayers go up for a speedy recovery.