8/3/09

The Baby in the Box

Ultimately, when our future child asks us why we decided to adopt them at the time we did, I will be able to tell about this little girl. This little girl was abandoned in a town nearby. She was left in a box by the side of the road. She was exposed to the Florida heat and had ant bites all over by the time she was found. But she was alive and needed a safe, loving home. It was then that I realized that my heart was ready for another baby. And not to sound all stalkerish, but I did email the Police Dept. in the area where she was found to see if we could adopt her. But I digress...

This event led to lengthy discussions between M and I about timing, work situations and such. And finances. Stupid finances! Oh how I wish we could just get knocked up for free like everyone else, but I can't (Which ultimately I realized I still haven't completely come to terms with). So finances are a BIG deal. I've been home with S just about all of her life and haven't been contributing much to the family finances. That's a problem, because although we are just fine – there is not much left to put toward adopting a second child.

We had brought up this topic six months or so ago, but then S got sick, I was in school, and went back to work and life was insane for a while. So we tabled it for a while.

And then there was the girl in the box.

To be continued...

1 comment:

redheadmomma said...

That is the most horrific thing I've heard all day. That's HORRIBLE. Left on the side of the road with ant bites. My God.

fyi, Although it may feel that way, it's not really everybody that gets a free ride getting knocked up - and I believe that we all get leveled out from different trials in life. And if some people to manage to skate through? Then they'd never reach the depth that others have through their struggles. That's what I believe. XO R